Saturday, June 10, 2017

Reflections On My Favorite Class Ever!

Students4Giving has been, by far, the highlight of my college career!  Not only did I learn so much from our kind and knowledgeable instructor, Cynthia Killingsworth, I also learned from every one of my fellow students. I think that was the biggest surprise for me. Many of my classmates were well versed with the non-profit sector; whether from volunteering for an organization, starting and managing a non-profit, or being on the receiving end of charity.  Their unique perspectives and observations were a text-book unto themselves! I am thankful that they shared their knowledge and personal experiences with the class.

Another aspect of this class that surprised me was that we could conduct site visits. It was also the most fulfilling and insightful moment for me in the class. I have volunteered for non-profits before, but to look at one through the eyes of a donor was a new experience. I found that it was difficult to stay objective during the site-visit, especially because I was seeing how happy the children at Community Transitional School were. During the site visit, the Development Director Juli Osa, told us about a little girl whose family had moved 47 times during the school year. The girl had the drive and the responsibility to contact the school and give them her location through every move, so that the school’s bus could pick her up.  Juli said that one of the houses the girl’s family stayed in didn’t have a phone, so the girl told CTS that if she didn’t call, that’s where she’d be. I will remind myself of that girl whenever I’m feeling overwhelmed and ready to give up. That story will stay with me forever.

I plan to work for a non-profit, or in the philanthropic department of a for-profit company, and the most important lesson I have learned from this class, is how difficult but important it is to keep one’s objectivity while researching an organization to donate to. Whether I will be on the receiving end or the giving end of a donation, I need to keep my objectivity. Thank you Josiah (a fellow classmate) for that lesson! I’ll work at not being personally hurt if a donor decides against giving to the organization I’m involved with, and I’ll work at not letting my heart-strings pull me in a direction if I’m the donor.  Though there is an element of instinct, emotion and passion that shouldn’t be discounted when donating.

And lastly, the book that was required reading in this class, Social Entrepreneurship, by David Bornstein and Susan Davis really inspired me. The new ideas of combining for-profit business strategies with non-profit management, like venture philanthropy, make so much sense to me. When a donor can help new non-profits with not only multi-year grants, but with management consulting, business planning, networking, lobbying, marketing, and how to measure results, it creates a much better return on investment than simply giving a grant and restricting it to specific uses. This class was an example of that kind of thinking. Doris Buffet could have simply given her money to a non-profit, but by creating the Learning By Giving foundation, the rewards are multi-dimensional.


And the way in which these two authors described the characteristics necessary for an entrepreneur, the “curious combination of sensitivity and bullheadedness”, and the motivation that a social entrepreneur must have to overcome a parade of obstacles and setbacks, gave me an idea of the type of organization and leader that I want to work for. I’m not sure if I can be that person, but I feel that I can certainly support someone like that and be an “intrapreneurial” part of a social change machine. 

No comments: