Thursday, May 4, 2017

Why We Do What We Do

 It's no secret that you will most likely never be rich working for a non-profit, which leads many to question why anyone would want to go into this line of work. Our world values money and wealth, why go into a job that you know will not provide you with such things? This past month has reminded me why we do what we do.
Recently my dog has become really ill, to the point of multiple nights of hospitalization. My dad and I have exhausted all of our resources to pay for the procedures that he needs, even calling on friends and family to help. Still, the bills keep piling up. So I have turned to looking at local charities to help alleviate the cost.
 Non-profits have always helped my family. We lived below the poverty line for most of my life and without them I don't know where I would be. They really do make a difference in the lives of others, even if it is not always visible.
 We want to be involved in non-profits to help others in their time of need. It seems like most of the time people are slamming the door on those that need it most. We want to be the type of people who remove that door so everyone has a fair chance. Other jobs might make you rich, but our jobs will help make a difference.    

No comments: